Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Test Case Showcase



This is the term now i am afraid of because next term is mine :(
Let's hope for the best.

In our place we have five QA people and we maintain a small forum, which we call QA forum. As different QA persons are working with different teams and projects, so QA forum is a platform where we basically share our sprint status, thoughts, learning, interesting testing topics etc.. etc.

Sometimes we arrange presentation on testcases, we call it "Test Case Showcase". As we all know everyone has different style of writing test cases, so we thought, better to share test cases with others. Everyone remains busy with his/her own project, so we never get the chance to look into others test cases. So it will be a nice opportunity to know different approach of writing test cases.

The next term is mine. I need to show my test cases. So i was thinking which one and how to present my test cases. Do i really follow any specific style? Am i following traditional style or anything new?

And now i am afraid, what i have found is, i never follow any explicit style. You can see the image, i use any thing in my test case.

> Sometimes it is simply a checklist with few points.
> Sometimes it has lots of tables.
> Sometimes traditional casees and Expected behaviour.
> Sometimes the entire screen shot of the requirement ppt is there.

What i believe is my requirement and context is changing in each sprint, so i should have the freedom to change my test case writing style also.

First i concentrate on the context, then i decide my test case structure.

While writing test case i keep few points in my mind:

1. Be careful not to skip any possible case.
2. I must make it simple and easy to read.
3. First part should contain the environment or data setup process.
4. Try to maintain an execution flow with the cases.
5. Where necessary do not hesitate to insert a screen shot.

and ..................can't remember right now :)

But i am happy with my test cases. I feel very comfortable while executing my test cases, and i think this is very important.

We call a test case successful when it can find lots of bugs. But i also want to add something with it.

Besides finding bugs a test case also needs to be comfortable to execute.

Happy Wednesday to all

No comments: